Wednesday, January 2, 2013

French Onion Soup.

Last night I told Brian to grab a cook book and pick something for me to make. I wasn't feeling like cooking, but as the first day of the new year, I figured I needed to at least make it the first day on my new year resolutions.

So He picked Kreachers French Onion Soup from the HP cook book. I tweaked the recipe as I was cooking it to add more flavor. I was surprised that I actually didn't really care for it. Generally I'm not a soup person, but this sounded yummy, and by all accounts it was, I just don't like eating nothing but onions...

Grocery List:

4 medium Onions
butter
Parmesan Cheese
salt
Ground black pepper
Sugar
flour
Basil
Thyme
Beef or Chicken broth
Baguette
olive oil

Ingredients for Onion soup:

4 medium onions
1/2 stick of melted butter
2 tsp. of Basil
1/2 tsp. of Thyme.
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. of Sugar
`1 tbs. of Flour
6 C. of Chicken or Beef broth.
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese


Peel the onions, cut them in half and slice thinly as possible. In a heavy soup pot, melt the butter and add the onions. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sugar and continue to stir over medium-high heat until the onions have browned.  Blend in the flour, basil and thyme. Gradually add the stock while stirring and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the head to a simmer and cook uncovered for 30 minutes.

Baguette:
Preheat oven to 350
While the soup is cooking, slice the baguette in 1 inch thick slices. Using a pastry brush, brush olive oil on each side of the cut pieces. Place the slices oil side up on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Toast the bread in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until browned.

Once everything is ready, pour soup into a bowl, add round Baguette and sprinkle with the rest of the Parmesan Cheese. The rounds are really good in this soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment